[postgis-users] area and distance

CHANDLER DOUGLAS COLEMAN CHANDLER.D.COLEMAN at stu.mmu.ac.uk
Thu Aug 2 14:31:58 PDT 2012

Hello,
I am a newbie to PostGIS.  I am hoping some one can explain to me why the following simple query doesn't return any info:

SELECT f.fact_name
FROM factory AS f, inner_area AS i
WHERE i.name = 'Dewsbury'
AND ST_WITHIN (f.geom,i.geom);

I have geom in as a column and I have 'Dewsbury' as a polygon record in inner_area and there are 5 records in factory that fall within this polygon.  But the resulting table shows that none were selected.

My assumption here is that the SQL statement is correct, but that something is wrong with the tables:  could it be how I imported the two tables from shapefiles.

Thanks,
Chandler