[postgis-users] mac 10.8

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Aug 24 08:37:47 PDT 2012

On Aug 24, 2012, at 10:16 AM, Randy Horner wrote:

> I'm sure you are correct.  A couple questions if you have the time:
>
> To uninstall a failed postgres/postgis, we stop the postgres service and delete any directories we find.  Anything we are missing?  How does the staker check for installed versions of postgres/postgis?

I don't know how stackbuilder works.

> Does installing gdal 1.9 Complete from your site satisfy the geos 3 and proj4 requirements for postgis?  Only your distribution or anyone's distribution of postgis?

Everything needed is specified on my PostGIS page and is available on my site.  Other PostGIS distributions may use my frameworks (GDAL, ...), but for something like stackbuilder or homebrew they usually do everything.

> Finally, we have many postgis 1.5.. database's on a windows servers.  Should we be able to back them up and then restore them on a postgis 2.0 fresh install?

The PostGIS documentation has upgrade procedures, but basically yes - dump from 1.5, load into 2.0.

> Sorry for my ignorance, we love gis and postgres/postgis but our we are pretty new to the mac arena.
>

> And thanks for the quick reply.  All of us appreciate your site and helpful work you do.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect