[postgis-users] PostGIS Installation error using Stackbuilder

Russell Mercer rmercer206 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 19:20:28 PDT 2012

I am trying to install PostGIS on Postgresql 9.1 using the Stackbuilder
program.  Postgresql 9.1 was installed using the 1 click installer from
EnterpriseDB.

Postgres installed completely, so I initiated the install for PostGIS.  I
selected PostGIS 2.0, entered my password for the "postgres" user at the
prompt and started the install.

The install made it almost to the end, and failed with the following
error:  createdb: could not connect to database postgres:  FATAL:  password
authentication failed for user "postgres"

I was concerned that I entered the wrong password at the prompt, so I
opened up pgAdmin III to test.  I was able to log in using the "postgres"
user name and the password with no issues.

I then tried to install PostGIS 1.5.3, with the same password fail result.

Can anyone give me some insight into what I am doing wrong?  I am
installing onto a server with Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2.

Thanks,
Russell