[postgis-users] Minimum Bounding Rectangle

Madison Shaw madisonshaw at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:03:55 PDT 2012

Hi,

I was wondering if any one could possibly offer some advice.

I am wanting to calculate the area for a minimum bounding rectangle
for individual polygon features.  I know I can use st_envelope or
st_extent along with st_area but this doesn't quite give me the
results I am after.

For example if the polygon was already a rectangle but was orientated
on an angle the bounding box area is much larger than the area of the
original rectangle, whereas I would like it to be the same value.  I
suppose what I am after is a convex hull but as a rectangle. Is this
possible?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Madison