[postgis-users] Minimum Bounding Rectangle

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Mon Jun 18 09:36:44 PDT 2012

Madison,

   I went looking a few months ago, but could find nothing.  I wrote
some PHP to:
     1. Find the length of the polygon (vertices farthest apart)
     2. Find the width (based on vertices farthest from length line)
     3. Build bounding box using length (with angle of the the length
line) and the width

I'm still pondering the result when the input polygon is a square...

But there should really be something like a "ST_ExtentRotated" or
"ST_RotatedBBox"  function in PostGIS.

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser