[postgis-users] Postgis raster vs Tiff Files with MapSrver

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Mon Mar 19 10:27:20 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Pierre Racine
<Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca> wrote:
> Andrea,
>
>> The explain I guess is that MapServer (ggdal) calling from a postgis raster do'nt
>> take any advantage from the overviews.
>> Instead it take advantage from overview when call a file tiff.
>
> The PostGIS Raster GDAL driver is still being optimized. It should be faster soon.

Faster but never as fast as TIFF. Databases Are Not Faster at Reading
than Files. More flexible, more adaptable to difference circumstances,
more generic to develop against, but not Faster.

Don't load your imagery into the database unless you plan to analyze
it. Please. (Pretty please.)

P.