[postgis-users] Old question resurfacing

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu Dec 12 12:07:44 PST 2013

Frank,

I don't know about a group, or for that matter centering it on just PostGIS, but I see 3D as the next big Mapping product line that people are going to be looking for.  PostGIS is a piece in a bigger puzzle.  I've been researching different methods for storing and segmenting the point cloud data on the server side for a while now and PostGIS has percolated up to near the top of the list.

There is a big piece related in how to generalize data for 3D scaling in the browser, that's the biggest shortcoming I've become aware of in order to make something run nicely in the browser, I've also of late been forcing myself to think mobile, which has it's own set of criteria as far as the browser goes.

I would likely join the list of something call PostGIS 3d, but I don't know that there is enough interest for a whole community (yet), maybe it's better to stay ahead of the curve though.

Bobb