[postgis-users] missing libxml2.la file when compiling PostGIS 2.1.1 from Source on Ubuntu 12.04

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 01:10:22 PST 2013

Hello Mike

> You should have e.g. /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxml2.la from libxml2-dev as
> shown here
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/i386/libxml2-dev/filelist
> so maybe try:
> sudo apt-get install --reinstall libxml2-dev

No way, the libxml2-dev version in my system does not have that file.
It looks like I am using a different and newer version from that one:

$ dpkg -s libxml2-dev
Package: libxml2-dev
 XML is a metalanguage to let you design your own markup language.
 A regular markup language defines a way to describe information in
 a certain class of documents (eg HTML). XML lets you define your
 own customized markup languages for many classes of document. It
 can do this because it's written in SGML, the international standard
 metalanguage for markup languages.

My best guess is that you are using the 2.7.8.dfsg-5.1ubuntu4.6
version (the one for which you provided the url), and on my system for
some reasons I have a newer version.
Did you install updates? Could you provide me your sources.list?

thanks a lot

Paolo Corti
Geospatial software developer
web: http://www.paolocorti.net