[postgis-users] upgrading from postgresql 8.4 - postgis 1.3.6 to postgresql 9.2/postgis2.0

Marcos Cano mcano at stsa.info
Fri Sep 6 08:59:40 PDT 2013

I did that a few months ago... Basically what I did was..

Install pg9.2.4 (latest stable version) with disable-integer-datetimes

And postgis 2.0.3 pointing against this Postgres version  with :
 --with-pgconfig= thepath/to/pg9.2.4/bin/pg_config

I run the both servers the newest in a different tcp port because there
were something's I still need from
That server.

Do a pg_dump of the postgis enabled database..  I did the pg_dump with the
/bin/ folder of
The older version.

In the new server I created a spatially enabled database make sure you make
it the long way (without EXTENSIONS)

Then I did a restore with the perl script

Greetings