[postgis-users] PostGIS as a solution for non-geographic x-y or temporal data ?

Lee R sregdoreel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 07:58:21 PDT 2014

I've been studying the use of SQL to achieve the equivalent of FP-Growth
pattern discovery of musical motifs. I'm using a rainbow table of
3.4million note vector trigrams (-88 to 88 for note vectors on a piano) to
make this work. However I find that for the capabilities I want, this
method is a bit rigid even if it's as fast as other loop&seek methods, some
which allow weak matching.

However I am thinking of instead using R in conjunction with PostGIS
geometric queries instead, with the goal of exploiting various features in
PostGIS to analyze musical compositions, such as finding similar line
segments and so on.

Anyone know of any work on using GIS vector data as a solution for
multidimensional time-series analysis of temporal datasets?

Thanks in advance,

Lee Rodgers