[postgis-users] PostGIS migrations

James Sewell james.sewell at lisasoft.com
Sun Jun 1 20:12:43 PDT 2014

Greetings All,

I am currently investigating a migration from 8.1.23 / 1.3.6 to 9.3.4 / 2.1.3.

I have a few questions regarding best practice for this. I'm using a
dump / restore approach.

1. Is there any problem with installing PostGIS into a postgis213
schema instead of into public? It seems a bit cleaner to me, and would
make future upgrades or dumps a lot smoother. I can then use ALTER
DATABASE to ensure that it is always in the search path.

2. Is the postgis_restore.pl script still reccomended? I've given it a
trial and it seems to work well (with a few small tweeks to support
the schema change above).

3. Is there any automated way to go from geometry contraints to using
the correct geometry type (ie: geometry(Point, 4326) ) Is this
something which I should not be doing for some reason?

Anything else I should be looking out for with a migration across
these versions?

Thanks for your help,

--

James Sewell,
PostgreSQL Team Lead / Solutions Architect

 Level 2, 50 Queen St, Melbourne VIC 3000

*P* (03) 8370 8000 * **W* www.lisasoft.com  *F*(03) 8370 8000

--

The contents of this email are confidential and may be subject to legal or