[postgis-users] raster support

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Mon Jun 9 07:17:00 PDT 2014

Hi Stefan,

I personally don't use QGIS to visualize PostGIS rasters so I'm not of much help. I still use OpenJump to visualise vectorization of my rasters. It turns out to be always much more simple than figuring how to do it, with what, in QGIS.

There was a QGIS python plugin to display PostGIS raster. I don't think I tried it since QGIS 2.0 is out though. Apparently it is now broken :-(   Anyway that plugin was, from my point of view, badly designed without a good understanding of the better way to exploit PostGIS Raster.

I just gave a try to the recipe given in the post (using the DB Manager once a connection with PostGIS has been done) and it works when the raster was loaded with raster2pgsql and the constraints were set.

Yes we need a SIMPLE way to deal with any PostGIS rasters in QGIS. Efforts should be concentrated on the "Add PostGIS Table" dialog. Maybe Boundless could help concentrating the efforts.

Pierre