[postgis-users] I am probably being stupid but I cannot get my rasters to display using QGIS

Darrel Maddy darrel.maddy at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Nov 6 06:15:02 PST 2015

Dear all,

Please accept this elementary question but I have been struggling with this despite working through my copy of postgis in action (ver 2).

I have imported my tifs into a table as follows (I am using postgres 9.4 and postgis 2.2.0):

raster2pgsql -I -C -M *.tif -F -s 27700  testrast.all | psql -h localhost -U postgres -p 5433 -d postgisi_in_action

The table appears in pgAdmin as expected.  At this stage all I am trying to do is visualise one of the tifs (there are 30) in QGIS (2.10).  I connect via  dbmanager and can see the table.

I have tried add to canvas on the 'all' table but it simply falls over.  I also tried running a simple query in the sql window

select rid,rast::geometry from testrast.all WHERE rid=1   and adding this as a layer.  This produces a box (presumably just of the dimensions of the raster).

How can I get it to display the actual raster image itself?

Frankly I am embarrassed asking this question but I just don't see how to do this.

Darrel