[postgis-users] restore problem

Darrel Maddy darrel.maddy at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Nov 10 13:11:35 PST 2015

Dear all,

Like many here I suspect I want to keep a copy of my main databases held on my workstation, on my laptop. I used PgAdmin to backup the databases concerned (the backup files look about the size I was expecting)  but restore on my laptop did not successfully complete.  All my shp file tables restored without issues but my raster tables (these are tiled rasters) would not. Looking at the error in the restore window of PgAdmin this appears to be a problem with a function/constraint.

pg_restore: processing data for table "dems"
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error while PROCESSING TOC:
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 3459; 0 94054 TABLE DATA dems postgres
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed for table "dems": ERROR:  function st_bandmetadata(public.raster, integer[]) does not exist
LINE 1:  SELECT array_agg(pixeltype)::text[] FROM st_bandmetadata($1...
                                                  ^
HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.
QUERY:   SELECT array_agg(pixeltype)::text[] FROM st_bandmetadata($1, ARRAY[]::int[]);
CONTEXT:  SQL function "_raster_constraint_pixel_types" during inlining
COPY dems, line 1: "1              0100000100000000000000344000000000000034C0E0CCCCCCB1D517418066666692F80C41000000000000000000000000..."

I did a quick search and found some old chatter on this issue but from the messages I read I would have expected this issue to have been cleared up in postgis 2 .

Obviously I cannot contemplate having mission critical data in a database which does not backup/restore correctly so I am assuming there is a fix which avoids this issue or there is another way to make a copy of the database for transfer elsewhere?

Once again any help would be gratefully received.

Best wishes

Darrel

ps.   Apologies for the string of questions I have asked lately - I will go silent once more shortly as I must move on to other things.