[postgis-users] PostGIS limited Query Performance

Mustafa Elbehery elbeherymustafa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 14:46:47 PST 2016

Hi Folks,

I am trying to create a benchmark to compare PostGIS against Apache Spark
performance, in SpatialQuery capabilties for sure.

I have expected that spark will outperfom, since the data resides in
memory, unlike PostGIS. However, I am more interested in using PostGIS, for
the sake of the *rich geometric predicates & functions. *

However, I have tried to load 6GB only of data into a table, and trying a
join query with another table. Specifically *ST_Within. *

Surprisingly, PostGIS was unable to finish the query, for *limit > 1000000
. *

In other words, as long as I limit my query result from *10 till 10000000, *the
query return result. However, more than this, the query never return, I
have waited for *50 *minutes on AWS EC2 Instance, with 4 cores & 16
GB, and *nothing
!!*

I have tried to use Vaccum_Verbose & analyze, the same issue remained.

Would like to hear any suggestions to solve the problem

Thanks in advance.