[postgis-users] Given up

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 01:13:54 PST 2017

Hi Darrel -

As you already have found an alternative installation, this mail is just
a heads-up for future users of the BigSQL installation of PostgreSQL:

  * The BigSQL administrative interface is based on some kind of local
    http-server software, which serves a JavaScript based program for
    installing/upgrading PostgreSQL and extensions (localhost:8051 IIRC)
  * This works very nicely (some times). But depending on your choice of
    antivirus - it can be a *royal* pain, because *your* antivirus
    software a lot of the time will stop *you* from using the interface.
  * However, BigSQL has an alternative installation method: the *pgc*
    command line interface.
  * You can do the following:
      o Start a DOS box with administrative rights (Right-click the
        dox-box icon, choose "Run as Administrator")
      o In the dos box, navigate to the installation directory of
        BigSQL, usually c:\PostgreSQL or c:\BigSQL
      o type "pgc" . This will give you a list of supported command for pgc.
      o Example - Install the PostGIS 2.4 extension for PostgreSQL: type
        "*pgc install postgis24-pg10*"
      o Give it a minute to download and install and then: Voila! you
        have the PostGIS extension for PostgreSQL installed and ready
        for use.

Regards
Bo Victor Thomsen
LIFA A/S, Denmark