[postgis-users] Newbie - Help with PGRouting

Joshua Chamberlain josh at zephyri.co
Sun May 21 16:53:23 PDT 2017

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Benjamin Orpilla <
Benjamin.Orpilla at downer.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I am new at using PostGreSQL/PostGIS. I am wanting to run a routing
> analysis and found the documentation at the PGRouting site with links to
> downloads here. However, I am overwhelmed by the number of build and what
> to actually download and install on my machine. Any guidance would be much
> appreciated.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Benjie

Are you familiar with Docker? In my opinion, that's the easiest way to get
started with PostGIS and pgRouting. Using the starefossen/pgrouting image,
start Postgres like so:

$ docker run --name pg -e POSTGRES_PASSWORD=mysecretpassword -d
starefossen/pgrouting

That will run in the background, at which point you can connect using psql
like this:

$ docker exec -it pg psql -U postgres

You won't have any data in your database, but PostGIS+pgRouting are
otherwise ready to go. Do you have a dataset you want to use?

(Of course if you don't already know Docker, this might just make the
rabbit hole deeper.)

Regards,
Joshua Chamberlain