[postgis-users] 'postgis.backend' is already set

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue May 30 01:45:25 PDT 2017

It's a symptom that you have a mix of two PostGIS libraries in your db.

Common causes are:

1) Postgis_SFCGAL older version is installed:

If for example you installed postgis_sfcgal, make sure you upgraded that.

In 2.1.3 this would have been installed with scripts (not extensions).
Best bet in that case would be to use the uninstall_sfcgal.sql script which is located in contrib/postgis/2.1

And then reinstall using CREATE EXTENSION postgis_sfcgal;

2) The other cause for this is if you installed the legacy.sql file.  You'll need to rerun using the newer legacy.sql packaged with 2.3.2.
3) Postgis topology - I don't think an older PostGIS topology makes any direct references to postgis, so shouldn't cause this issue, but still best to keep this one up to date.

Hope that helps,
Regina
PostGIS PSC Member
http://postgis.us