[postgis-users] Importing relations from database where postgis extension was created with a different schema

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Tue Nov 7 13:34:36 PST 2017

FWIW I tend to standardize on putting postgis in schema called postgis.  Not sure where you got the idea that public is the preferred location.

You'll need to move postgis back into postgis schema to restore your data.
You can then move to whatever schema you want by repeating the below steps with a different schema.

Here is how you do it.

First change meta catalog to allow you to move the postgis extension

UPDATE pg_extension SET extrelocatable = true where extname = 'postgis';

Next move extension back to postgis

ALTER EXTENSION postgis SET SCHEMA postgis;

Next fix up the functions, they are broken at this point without doing the below.

ALTER EXTENSION postgis  UPDATE TO "2.4.1next";
ALTER EXTENSION postgis  UPDATE TO "2.4.1";

Now run pg_restore

Hope that helps,
Regina