[postgis-users] PostGIS on Centos 7

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Apr 25 08:57:04 PDT 2018

I agree with Christopher, not sure what they mean or it's a case of "We haven't tried CentOS 7 with PostGIS so have no confidence of it working".

Then again I have always used the community packages yum.postgresql.org since the ones that come packaged with distros are generally too old and lacking in other ways.

>From issues of past, you are almost always better off going with newer CentOS.  The reason being is that even using the community packages, some packages are picked up from EPEL stable of your repo.  So that means a newer CentOS would probably get you a newer GEOS / GDAL.  Eventually we won't be supporting GEOS 3.5 which is the latest on older CentOS distros carry as I recall.

That said, I would push them to ask them where they get their information.  Perhaps they have some knowledge about some issue that they haven't raised with packagers or PostGIS development that can easily be resolved if we knew about it.

Thanks,
Regina