[postgis-users] ERROR: could not access file "$libdir/postgis-2.5" under Windows

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sun Dec 16 21:12:43 PST 2018

Stefan,

Are you sure you are using the EnterpriseDb distribution of PostgreSQL and NOT BigSQL windows distribution?

That path you describe sounds like BigSQL distribution.  I tested with a brand new install of PostgreSQL 11 EDB and it installed fine without moving anything.

As mentioned here - https://postgis.net/windows_downloads/  the installer EXEs are meant for PostgreSQL EDB distribution ONLY.  DO NOT USE WITH BigSQL.

The binaries however are compatible with both EDB and BigSQL distributions, but paths where things are installed in PostgreSQL EDB is different from BigSQL.
I don't bother trying to get the installer to work with BigSQL because BigSQL ships their own PostGIS binaries which you can get

Via their pretty-good commandline (pgc) installer.

https://www.openscg.com/bigsql/components/  (and THEY DO HAVE postgis 2.5.1 listed there).

SO YOU SHOULD NEVER USE THE INSTALLER with BigSQL distribution, but if you need postgis SFCGAL or pgRouting you can use the binaries on OSGEO downloads on windows_downloads experimental section.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Thanks,
Regina