[postgis-users] Convert Box3D to TIN geometries

Tom Kazimiers tom at voodoo-arts.net
Wed Jul 25 08:05:08 PDT 2018

Hi Darafei,

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 09:31:25PM +0300, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
wrote:
>You can copy the triangulated from my message Box and ST_Translate /
>ST_Scale it using ST_{X,Y,Z}{Min,Max} of your box. Of course, more
>preferable way would be to use SFCGAL extension, as it's part of
>PostGIS :)

Thanks, translating and scaling the unit box you generated is a good
suggestion and would certainly work. I already implemented the
generation of vertices and triangles based on ST_{X,Y,Z}{Min,Max} of my
boxes, but will use your TIN to validate the vertex order and triangle
order against your Box3D. In my original question I was merely looking
for a more clever and readable solution than generating a lot of
vertices and triangles manually.

The SFCGAL extension offers certainly some nice additional functionality
and we probably should look into it again at some point. In the past, it
complicated the setup process of our project too much, because IIRC it
required compiling the extension yourself. :-)

Cheers,
Tom