[postgis-users] ST_ClusterDBSCAN for "geography" data type?

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Tue Dec 22 03:15:15 PST 2020

Hi,

As I understand it now, Darafei's suggestion essentially puts the
geometries on a globe by transforming to EPSG:4978, and then doing
straight line distance calculations between geometries. Since the
cluster distance, depending on the data of course, is usually very small
compared to the earth, the error of not accounting for the
sphere/spheroid should be low. E.g., if you wanted to cluster buildings
like in the example page of the PostGIS documentation, than 10m max eps
already creates clusters of > 1k records in some areas. In addition, the
whole principal of clustering does not care much about exact geodesic
distances, or not at all, just that with Darafei's suggestion, the data
can more easily span large surface areas without clustering results
negatively being influenced by a projection's distance distortions
(Correct me if I am wrong, Darafei).

An example query for creating a table with clusters, discarding IDs that
do not form part of a cluster:

CREATE TABLE <MY_TABLE>_clustered AS SELECT <UNIQUE_ID_COLUMN>,
cluster_id FROM (SELECT <UNIQUE_ID_COLUMN>,
ST_ClusterDBSCAN(ST_Force3D(ST_Transform(<GEOMETRY_COLUMN>,4978)), eps
:= 10 , minpoints := 5) over () AS cluster_id FROM <MY_TABLE>) sq WHERE
cluster_id IS NOT NULL;

Marco