[postgis-users] Relationship between PostGIS, Azure and its various components

Shaozhong SHI shishaozhong at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 14:23:46 PDT 2020

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 20:49, Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

> Shao,
>

> Not sure the question you are asking.  Hopefully this helps
>

> There are 2 kinds of Azure that PostGIS can exist in
>

> Azure Database for PostgreSQL --  PostGIS is an offered extension   --
> Database as a Service
>
> Azure Server – you can spin up a server like Ubuntu on Azure
> infrastructure and install your  own PostgreSQL and PostGIS.
>

> If you go with DbaaS I think it’s much more expensive than just an Azure
> Server, but you get stuff like simpler scalability and mirroring.  Aside
> from expense you are stuck with whatever version of PostGIS they give you
> and have limited extension offerings.
>

> Azure Server – cheaper more freedom to install the version of PostgreSQL
> and PostGIS you want as well as much more freed of installing extensions
> and accessing the network.
>

> --This same statement can be said about Amazon or Google offerings.

Hi, Regina Obe,

Thank you.

Some enterprises/organisations are implementing Azure, and get data at one
place.

My gut feeling is that a lot of these components on Azure may not be able
to offer what PostgreSQL/PostGIS can offer.  I am trying to see how best
PostgreSQL/PostGIS can play an important role on the Azure and interplay
and interoperate with other components.

Obviously, many organisations have a wide range of types of data.  I would
like to see that PostgreSQL/PostGIS can play an important role on the Azure.

We must have some strong and factual points in hand to persuade others.  It
is along this line that I am thinking.

Regards,

Shao