[postgis-users] OSM and US DEM in PostGIS

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sun Jun 27 10:57:05 PDT 2021

Siddarth,

Do you know what spatial reference system your raster data is in?

Do this:

SELECT ST_AsText(rast::geometry), ST_SRID(rast)

FROM your_raster_table LIMIT 1;

You should see coordinates  that resemble your geometry data (and all the coordinates should be less than 180) and srid should be 4326.

If you see big numbers, then your raster DEM is not in long lat.  If the srid reads something other than 4326, then your data is not in WGS long lat, but good news is  that is fine.

Figure out what SRID it’s in – might need to read the data source you got it from.

If your raster data is not in long lat, transform your geometry data to the same spatial ref sys.

SELECT ST_Value(rast,1, p.geom)

FROM your_raster_table AS r  INNER JOIN (SELECT ST_Transform( ST_SetSRID( ST_Point(long,lat), 4326) , <srid of raster>)

 AS geom) AS p ON r.rast && p.geom;