[postgis-users] Help shaping the future: how do your use of spatial_ref_sys ?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Feb 4 13:05:28 PST 2022

Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> writes:

> Following earlier may from Regina, I'm writing this as a user
> inquiry, to get help in shaping the future of PostGIS handling
> of custom CRSs.
>
> The question I have for you is: do you keep your custom CRSs
> in the spatial_ref_sys table ? If so:
>
>   - How many ?
>   - Do you also keep the entries installed by spatial_ref_sys.sql ?
>   - Do you ever update the table with entries from newer
>     spatial_ref_sys.sql ?

I don't do any of this and am not a useful datapoint, but I am heading
for one or more custom CRS definitions.  Not sure if I need them in
postgis or just qgis.

However, with packager hat on,  I think it's a good thing to somehow
clearly separate

  A) entries under the control of postgis

  B) user entries

and the idea that

  category A entries get wholesale replaced with package entries on
  upgrade, and

  category B entries are never touched

  the effective entries are the union of A and B

sounds right to me.

Also, insttall X, upgrade to Y should result in the same state as
install Y, to the extent feasible.