[postgis-users] "value out of range: underflow" blocking error

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Wed Feb 9 03:57:47 PST 2022

Hi Regina,

After restoring my VM a second time, I dug a little deeper into the
problem, and I now think I understand what went wrong:

I had initially attempted to upgrade my GEOS 3.8.0 that comes by default
in the Ubuntu 20.04 install to GEOS 3.10.1 from the 'ubuntugis-unstable'
PPA.

To do this, after adding the PPA in Ubuntu, I checked the
'libgeos3.10.1' entry in the Synaptic Package Manager, and clicked
"Apply". This succeeded, but I did not uninstall 'libgeos3.8.0' in the
same process, so I had two 'libgeos' versions installed.

This seems to have caused the issue, as after I now uninstalled
'libgeos3.8.0', I noticed the Synaptic Package manager updated a couple
of dependent libraries to the 3.10.1 version:
'libgeos++dev','libgeos-c1v5','libgeos-dev'. So I guess the issue with
the underflow was caused by having the outdated 3.8.0 versions of these
libraries still installed.

Marco