[postgis-users] PSC Vote: Drop PostgreSQL 9.6 and PostgreSQL 10 in PostGIS 3.3

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sat Feb 12 21:22:01 PST 2022

PostgreSQL 9.6 has reached EOL so I don't think there is any point in
supporting it in PostGIS 3.3.

https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

PostgreSQL 10 will be EOL'd before or very close to our planned 3.3 release
so we should get rid of that too.

There is not much savings with only dropping 9.6 because most of our ifdefs
are at the 11, 12, and 14 mile posts.

PROS
1) It will speed up our testing if we don't need to test these 2.
2) Much fewer ifdefs
3) Less looking back down the past of what is legit for what version of
PostgreSQL.

CONS
PostgreSQL 9.6, 10 people can't run 3.3, but why would they anyway.
Upgrading from PostgreSQL 10 some 3+ -> PostgreSQL something_supported 3.3
would be the way to go anyway and now much less painful now that we don't
have the minor in the lib file anymore.

Thanks,
Regina