[postgis-users] Postgresql 14 bug?: "variable not found in subplan target list"

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Sun Feb 13 09:35:18 PST 2022

Hi,

Anyone else running into issues with their process flow after upgrading
to PostgreSQL 14?

After my failed attempt to update GEOS and PROJ, as I wrote about in
recent posts, I restored my backup VM with plain vanilla PostgreSQL 13
and PostGIS 3.2.0 from the official apt repository of PostgreSQL, which
also includes GEOS 3.8.0 and PROJ 6.3.1.

I then upgraded my cluster to PostgreSQL 14, without any other changes
or upgrades.

Now I am running into a weird issue and error I have never seen before
in the past four years of working with PostgreSQL:

- On a dataset that has undergone some basic processing in PostgreSQL /
PostGIS, including things like 'ST_SimplifyVW', 'ST_Transform',
somewhere along the processing chain I get a "variable not found in
subplan target list" type error. This happens on a very basic SQL
statement, just:

"SELECT COUNT(*) FROM <TABLE>"

- If I view the data in pgAdmin or DBeaver, I can open the table and
view it spatially without issues. Running the same SQL COUNT statement
against the dataset from these tools query interfaces, does give me the
same error though as in my code.

- If I 'VACUUM' the dataset, the error persists.

- If I 'VACUUM (FULL)' the dataset, I get back the record count without
issues.

Thoughts?

Marco