[postgis-users] Help installing h3 extension on postgres 11 with postgis 3.3

Claire Palmer clairempalmer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 13:24:19 PDT 2023

Hi Regina,

Yes, when running CREATE EXTENSION h3; manually I get:  ERROR: could not
access file "h3": No such file or directory.
With CREATE EXTENSION h3_postgis; I get:  ERROR: required extension "h3" is
not installed.

I went ahead and installed postgres 11 on my other Windows machine.  The h3
and h3_postgis extensions installed successfully.  So then I checked the
version of postgres11 with our core databases (11.14) versus the one I just
installed (11.19).  So the issue seems to be with postgres 11.14.

I used EDB to install the minor upgrade from 11.14 to 11.19 on the
postgres11 with our core databases.  The install went fine, all data is
there, select version() now gives 11.19, but CREATE EXTENTION h3 still
gives ERROR: could not access file "h3": No such file or directory.

I guess the last thing to try is to dump databases to file, wipe current
postgres 11, re-install fresh postgres 11 and restore database dumps.

Anyway just reporting on progress as maybe this will help someone else out
there.

Claire