[PROJ] OSGeo incubation status

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Mon Sep 9 23:08:22 PDT 2019

Thanks for you input everyone.

Even, thanks for going through all of the source files! I had hoped to save some work
by crowdsourcing this, but never in a million years had I expected it to be done by
the time I got up the morning after. Very impressive. As far as I can tell there’s only
a minor issues to deal with.

We have a bunch of files without a license header present. The copyright holder
is inferred from the git log. Should we add headers to those files? Also, in many
files substantial work has been done by several developers, even though only
one is stated as the copyright holder. I assume because the developer has
forgotten to add their name in the header. We can also infer those from git, but
is that something that we ought to do?

Concerning the CLA, I take your responses as enough evidence that we do
not need one of those for the PROJ project :-) I have added the following
statement to the Provenance Review document:

"The project has opted to not ask committers to sign a contribution agreement
because 1) the MIT license is permissive which eliminates the desire to re-license
the software, 2) it's an added layer of complexity to the project and 3) some
developers has expressed that they will not sign such an agreement.”

/Kristian