[PROJ] World UTM in a proper datum

Noel Zinn (cc) ndzinn at comcast.net
Sat Apr 17 13:24:11 PDT 2021

Unlike an empirically-derived datum transformation (e.g. WGS <> ITRF), which can have different levels of "accuracy" depending how it was derived, a map projection (lat/lon <> N/E) is defined mathematically and is precise, i.e. without error.  Having said that, there are better and worse algorithms for UTM, but that's not the question you're asking.  In a datum transformation sense UTM will always be as (and only as) "accurate" as the geographicals you convert to N/E.  So, use EPSG:326XX and EPSG327XX, but plug in your precise geographicals.