[PROJ] PROJ 9.0.0RC1 & PROJ-data 1.9RC1

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Feb 17 02:36:23 PST 2022

Javier,

Le 17/02/2022 à 11:06, Javier Jimenez Shaw a écrit :
> One question. Is there an "automatic" way to know if there is an ABI
> (or API) break, or is it just based on the developers' criterion?

The abi-tracker tool could be used for that. The openjpeg project uses
it through its CI
(https://github.com/uclouvain/openjpeg/blob/master/tools/travis-ci/abi-check.sh),
but it requires additional effort at release time since you need to
upload the report of the new version in some repository, and that's a
potential new point of failure in CI.

And the problem with automated tools: looking at the output of
https://abi-laboratory.pro/index.php?view=compat_report&l=proj&v1=7.1.0&v2=7.1.1&obj=d1298&kind=abi#Symbol_Problems_Medium
, it flags the change of the size of the char pj_release[] as a
potential issue...

IMHO, analyzing the output of "diff -Nur ${prefix_old_version}/include
${prefix_new_version}/include" just before the release and using your
best judgment has probably the better benefit/effort ratio.  Or use
abi-tracker locally to get assistance.