[pycsw-devel] ElasticSearch integration

Mike Metcalfe mike at webtide.co.za
Tue Oct 9 07:27:51 PDT 2018

Thanks Paolo and Tom,

I copied the Hypermap plugin into plugins/repository/elastic/elastic.py and
hacked it down to bare bones. I added a "source" param to default.cfg that
points to that module and now when I call GetRecords it takes me to the
*query* method in *ElasticSearchRepository*. Whoop!! I then started working
on a method that that uses the requests
<http://docs.python-requests.org/en/master/> library to call my ES service.
But then I got Tom's suggestion to modify csw2.py and add fes2es modules
but now I'm not sure how to merge these into what I have. Any and all
pointers welcome.

Mike

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 at 02:46, Tom Kralidis <tom.kralidis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike: thanks for the info and your interest in pycsw.
>
> In the context of providing an 'outbound' CSW endpoint against an
> Elasticsearch
> backend (this means the ES index already exists, and you want to bind pycsw
> atop it), a repository plugin is the suggested approach.  The job of the
> plugin
> would be to 1./ translate CSW queries into ES queries 2./ execute the ES
> queries and 3./ format ES search results into pycsw objects back to the
> caller
>
> There is an example in [1] that shows an example of OGC Filter to ES
> queries but
> needs more development and testing.  Note that for ES spatial queries the
> geo_shape type is recommended.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> ..Tom
>
> [1] https://gist.github.com/tomkralidis/6919d32da01b62b5b4e76b9254751e9b
>
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 9:21 AM Mike Metcalfe <mike at webtide.co.za> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On IRC recently @tomkralidis suggested I consider using the
> pycsw/HHyperman integration as the model on which to base the development
> of an elastic plugin.  Knowing hardly anything about pycsw, after reading
> this PR I had assumed I'd be writing a backend that would query ES and
> instead of a  SQL database. But the docs say "pycsw is enabled and
> configured by default in HHypermap".  Now after reading #208,  #410 and #95
> I'm totally confused where to start.
> >
> > Please advise.
> >
> > --
> > Mike Metcalfe