[Pywps-dev] how to using GeoServer REST API to save output data to GeoServer

Jorge de Jesus jorge.mendesdejesus at wur.nl
Tue May 21 00:36:05 PDT 2013

Goede Morgen

Reply inline:

On 05/21/2013 08:27 AM, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> Jorge,
>
> do I understand it correctly, that all proposed libraries are to be used
> at server side - so inside of PyWPS?

Yes, everything inside PyWPS and being called from inside the code. The
same concerning QGIS, our code needs to be properly done so that it will
be easy to write a plugin to QGIS, meaning "import pywps", a bit like I
wrote in the wiki:

http://wiki.rsg.pml.ac.uk/pywps/API_access

> In which way are you proposing using REST approach inside of PyWPS? My
> ideas would be:
>
> 	1 - using it for administration (list of running processes, statistics,
> stoping/pausing/starting process (NOTE: future version of WPS will
> include this features as well) ...

Yes, maybe also some nice web page interface ???

> 	2 - Along with "old" way of defining and deploying processes, we could
> use REST services to do so

This is just an extension from point 1, it will be "natural" to
implement it

> 	3 - make completely new proprietary design of processing service
> (something like web processing server, demonstrated along with
> OpenLayers some years ago)

I'm not certain what you mean as web processing server, you mean a
complete application supporting HTTP calls ???? A sort of framework ?

> 	4 - anything else?
>
> About the templates: I would like to KISS pywps - helping libraries are
> as good, as they are helping. My original idea was, to use lxml for
> output xml generation, so no templates needed. What's your opinion?

To many chefs in the kitchen can be a disaster :) I've recalled that you
also wanted XML parsing capabilities in the output (in debug mode).  A
template approach for the output would be faster. BUT to many components
break the KISS approach, for me is not a problem.

Cheers

> Jachym
>
> Dne 21.5.2013 08:12, Jorge de Jesus napsal(a):
>> Hola
>>
>> I think that GeoServer REST API is nice and well documented if, we use
>> it as reference point we will have a great start.
>>
>> 1 year go my college Olly suggested to do REST services using Flask [1]
>>
>> I've done a REST access in ISRIC using Flask, the framework performed
>> pretty well I only had some problems with pyscopg2 and cursors but this
>> problem is independent from Flask. Also Django-REST looks nice [2], and
>> future developments on my side will use Django-REST.
>>
>> Flask uses Jinja [3] as template engine, it seems that template engines
>> and webframes are breeding like rabbits :)
>>
>> Any considerations for the new template engine ??? We need to shop
>> around for new tools and frameworks, Python has come a long long way
>> since PyWPS started.
>>
>> Jorge
>>

>> [1] http://flask.pocoo.org/
>> [2] http://django-rest-framework.org/
>> [2] http://jinja.pocoo.org/
>>
>> On 05/20/2013 04:17 AM, welkin zzp wrote:
>>>    Hi   Jachym
>>>
>>>     I want to implement the function that write output data to
>>> GeoServer , but I have not used Geoserver and  not very familiar with
>>> the Geoserver REST API , Can you give me some advice on how to implement
>>> this feature in pywps ?
>>>
>>>  Thanks

ISRIC - World Soil Information Post: PO box 353, 6700 AJ, Wageningen,
The Netherlands Visiting Address: Droevendaalsesteeg 3, 6708 PB
Wageningen (Bdg. 101), Office: C.013 Office Phone: +31 (0) 317 4 83715
Mobile Phone: +31 (0) 613 9 06950 OpenPGPKey: 0xA3D0065A