[Qgis-community-team] SEXTANTE documentation

Otto Dassau dassau at gbd-consult.de
Mon Feb 4 10:54:48 PST 2013

Hi Victor,
CC Community Team,

Am Sun, 3 Feb 2013 10:05:31 +0100
schrieb Victor Olaya <volayaf at gmail.com>:

> Hi Otto
>
> A few things/ questions about the SEXTANTE documentation.
>
> 1) I have seen your list of tasks for the 1.9 docs. There are three
> SEXTANTE topics. One of them (TauDEM provider for SEXTANTE) is already
> documented,

ok thanks, I removed that from the task list

> ...but the two other ones (reproject layer tool for SEXTANTE
> and add Densify geometries tool to SEXTANTE) refer to SEXTANTE
> algorithms. We are not documenting algorithms in the QGIS manual, but
> just adding the context help that can be checked from the toolbox.
>
> Most algorithms still do not have documentation (apart from OTB and
> GRASS ones). How do you think we could handle this? Open tickets
> separately or putting a separate project? this is not directly related
> to the QGIS manual, but it is a documentation task, and it would be
> great if we could involve more people on it

I would love to have the algorithms documented in the qgis user guide, too.
Maybe as an appendix. We did this once for the GRASS Plugin. But you are
right we need more people to help writing the missing docs for it.

Are there people on the community list, who would be interested to
contribute to the SEXTANTE documentation?

> 2) Apart from the SEXTANTE docuemntation currently in the manual, I am
> planning to write to other documents for SEXTANTE. One will be a
> programming manual, showing how to program new SEXTANTE algorithms.
> The other one is with practical examples, probably adapting what I am
> currently writing in my QGIS-SEXTANTE blog. I was thinking about
> adding new projects to my personal github repo, but wanted to ask you
> if you think it would be a good idea to add them to the
> QGIS-Documentation project, maybe adding new folders, or maybe a
> "sextante" folder. The programming manual might even be included as a
> part of the pyqgis cookbook. Your ideas on this are welcome.

I could imagine, that the programming manual could be an additional chapter
of the pyqgis cookbook. And the practical examples should fit into the
sextante chapters of the user guide, I think. I don't know if it would make
sense to have an extra manual here. I would prefere to have one user guide
with all necessary information.

best wishes
Otto