[Qgis-community-team] QGIS docs: Vanilla build & ReadTheDocs theme

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 00:05:42 PDT 2019

Hi Richard,
Thanks for your testing. I really like it and after years it visually
refreshes our documentation.
I have some issues I don't know whether I should raise them in the doc repo
or here.
Here they are:

- The |updatedisclaimer| does not seem to be substituted
- I think we should better set the margin in the TOC (the local content
one) between two different levels: see eg, spacing between "Symbology
properties" and "Band rendering" and same between the latter and "Multiband
color" at
https://qgis.org/test/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_raster/raster_properties.html
I think we should either keep the same space or reduce it as we go into
details, ie distance "Sources properties <-> Symbology properties" >=
"Symbology properties <-> Band rendering" which is >= "band rendering <->
"Multiband color"
- Still in the above page, it could be nice to have some spacing between
the "path" and the "View page source" button
- I like in the left panel the display of the sections of the chapter
current chapter (a long standing issue report in the repo) and the
highlighting of the active section. I also like this frame being visible
all the time. However, I think it should be scrollable since if I'm eg at
https://qgis.org/test/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/vector_properties.html#symbology-properties
there's no easy way I could get back to qgis gui chapter (at least on my
17" screen); the selected chapter was moved at the top of the unscrollable
area.
- While I like the general soft coloring of the docs, I'm a bit dubious on
the background coloring of Processing parameters and sub parameters (
https://qgis.org/test/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/qgis/networkanalysis.html).
Sorry, no proposal yet.
- Also it's hard imho to quickly identify the algorithms  (where they start
or end); maybe should we have a bigger top marging for algorithm name. I
know I've always complained about how aerate is our Processing algs docs, a
bit of aeration on top of alg name wouldn't make me unhappy.

Once again, despite all the issues reported above, I really like the path
we are taking. Thanks to you.

Regards,
Harrissou