[Qgis-community-team] Report of QGIS documentation meeting

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sat Mar 23 08:54:01 PDT 2019

Thanks Alexandre,

So now we can start theming :-) ...

BUT BUT... what if we make it our goals to

-1- to make the editing as simple as possible, that is: make it possible
for people to 'just edit in github [0] or gitlab [1]
-2- make it as readable as possible at git*.com too
-3- keep it as simple as possible for (beginning) writers

Then I would propose (but please correct me if I'm wrong in one or more
items):

-1- get rid of :guilabel: directive. While it is rendered in our website
with some nice blue color (and I think historical more or less as a
'button'). In git*.com it is shown as an ugly textual directive:
  Then click on :guilabel:`Classify` button
While if we keep it simple: just do:
  Then click on the **Classify** button
We do not have the shiny styling possibility in your site (it will just
be rendered *bold*) but it will make readibility/writebility in git*.com
better.

-2- same for :menuitem:
Though if we really want to distinguish between those two (now they have
a slightly different color of blue) we could use 'bold', 'italic' or
'fixed-space literal' (or a combi?... not [2][3])

-3- same for :file: with is now a sort of alias-style for 'fixed-space
literal'

-4- use common images (in static/common) folder with relative paths.
This would make that we do not need to (cannot) use the search-replace
script, and as can use sources/static/common as img folder, git*.com
will show them. I 'think' this makes it easier for writers.
If they add a common img, they just drop it in the source/static/common
folder (no copying/linking needed) and try out the right relative link.
Disadvantages: we have to instruct to use the width/height attribute (in
em units) and use common images as much as possible.

Please have a look at github pages and gitlab pages below, and build
yourself to see what it looks now. Also play with source.conf options if
you want.
Also feel free to disagree :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde