[Qgis-community-team] [Qt Linguist/ Transifex] "Dead Strings" - What to do?

João Gaspar joao.f.r.gaspar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 16:27:23 PDT 2019

Hi guys,
in the last years, I have been used the transifex to translate the
Portuguese pt-pt strings and I stop to use Qt Linguist.

One of the features that I like about Qt Linguist is the possibility to
preview the dialogues with the translations in the place. Taking advantage
of this feature and to correct some labels in the forms, I realize that
there are translated and/or not translated strings  from files that are no
longer available in the master.

An example:
If I search for the file python-i18n.cpp in the GitHub repo of QGIS in the
master branch I don't find this file. However, there are some strings to
translate in the file of transifex (can be different from language to
language and % of translation).
I think this kind of thing is happening in others languages so I wonder if
we need to search and remove this strings because this is not clear in the
transifex and translators will spend "lost" time in strings that are no
longer available in the GUI.

How can I see this? Because in the Qt Linguist when a path to a file is
correct the form or the content appear as dialog preview or code otherwise
show something like this:

File C:/repoGithub/QGIS/python/plugins/processing/python-i18n.cpp not
available

So I start to thinking the possible reasons and i think this can be
possible in this 3 scenarios:
File removed?
File renamed?
Filepath changed?