[Qgis-community-team] FOSS4G UK QGIS Documentation Workshop

Nick Bearman nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 10:02:35 PDT 2019

Hello,

I am running a short (90 min) session on QGIS Documentation
<https://b-rowlingson.gitlab.io/workshopbookings/contributing-to-qgis-documentation/>
at the FOSS4G UK 2019 Conference in Edinburgh
<https://uk.osgeo.org/foss4guk2019/>. The session is next Friday and I
wanted to give you (QGIS Documentation Team) the heads up (as I plan to
actually get people to do some editing for QGIS Documentation in the
session) and ask a couple of questions.

*Firstly, apologies for the late notice of this - I have been manically
busy so have not been able to put as much time into this as I would have
liked. *
*Secondly, just for background I have been following the discussions from
Cameron / Andreas / Regis / Matteo / Anita / Harrissou / Alexandre and
others on SeasonOfDocs and QGIS, which has been very interesting. Thanks
all for your comments, and sorry I could not take part more in this. *

It is a fairly short session and I want people to get something tangible
out of this. I am planning to start off with an explanation of the QGIS
Documentation, why it is important to contribute and so on. The attendees
in the session are likely not to have any experience of Git, so I am
planning on walking them through the process of making a fork, editing a
file and submitting a PR on an example repository, so they get used to the
principles. Then I will explain how QGIS Documentation on GitHub works, and
I would ideally like to be able to get them to actually make an edit and
submit a PR on the real documentation. I have seen the list of Easy issues (
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3AEasy)
and am going to suggest they each try one of those. There are quite a few
screenshots / new features ones so will direct them towards these.

One thing I would like to highlight / question is that on
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/documentation_guidelines/writing.html#managing-screenshots
page,
the info for screenshots implies that a Ubuntu operating system is required
to make screenshots. Is this the case? I can see how this is a nice to have
for consistency, but I think this is a blocker for anyone who wants to
contribute screenshots who doesn't use Ubuntu (and I think that is a large
chunk of people). There is some infrastructure for screenshots already, so
should I advise newbies to have a go at screenshots (neglecting the
requirement for Ubuntu/Unity), or are there better areas for them to focus
on?

After they have made a change, I will ask them to tag me (@nickbearman) in
the PR comments, so I can track contributions and help/comment as required.

I have also been asked to lead a session on QGIS Documentation on the
Saturday hackathon, so I hope to get some larger bits done myself as well.

I hope this is useful as a heads up for you. Do you have any suggestions
for newbie issues to recommend them? I'm also open to any other comments
and suggestions that people would like to make.

Best wishes,
Nick.

--
Nick Bearman
01209 808910 | 07717745715
nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk

Due to my own life/work balance, you may get emails from me outside of
normal working hours. Please do not feel any pressure to respond outside of
your own working pattern.