[Qgis-developer] Questions and suggestion on build setup

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Tue Dec 5 22:04:11 EST 2006

Hi

> > - projection selector is built as a library, and is not in the plugins
> > or providers source folder, so it seems to be a core library for Qgis,
> > yet it is installed in the plugins folder.  Shouldn't a library be kept
> > with the rest of the libraries?  The grass provider library does.
>
> I think it was an experiment in creating a Qt custom widget. From the
> viewpoint of Qt Designer and the development process, it's somewhat like
> a UI plugin. At runtime, however, it's essential to have the widget
> present; it's not optional but could perhaps be replaced by an alternate
> implementation.
>
> We seem to have three classes of extras: Qt widgets, QGIS providers and
> QGIS plugins. Implementations of the first are required, the third are
> optional and I'm not fully sure about the second. Some providers are
> optional but would QGIS work without the OGR provider?
>
> Some extras are more important that others and perhaps should be sorted
> into different folders for QGIS 1.0. As a product in development,
> however, some of these distinctions are still fuzzy. Tim periodically
> lobbies for greater use of UI widgets; when we implement more, we may
> get a better feel for where they belong. For now, I have no objection to
> the projection selector being installed in either place.

Right - the more I play around with designer plugins the more eager I
get to make the qgis gui a bunch of widgets. From my use of designer
widgets in other projects, this has two big benifits:

1) third party application developers can drop ready to use components
e.g. symbology widget into their application
2) we can improve code reuse and maintenance e.g. all places in teh
app that use a outline style selector can share common code and a
common gui part

Post 1.0 I plan to really go through the qgis UI stuff and try to
componentise as much as possible.

> > - the scalebar plugin is the only one that has 'lib' prefixed to its
> > name, and has mixed case:
> >
> > libScaleBarplugin
>
> libwfsprovider also has the prefix but is not mixed case. My preference
> is not to include 'lib' if 'plugin' or 'provider' is part of the name.

Yes this should really be standardsied with the other plugins.

> A related oddity is that most qgis libs have version 1.0.0 while raster
> and msexport have version 0.0.0.

Thats an oversight - they can be bumped up to match the rest of qgis I think

> Also, Qt 4.2 is now available as a dmg file so you might want to try
> that as well. (Look in the 'previous versions' link which is actually
> the complete Qt distribution directory.)

Can you give a link to the dmg? I dont see it on the trolls site anywhere?

> I'm more interested in rearranging dialog boxes (Qt 4.2 does support Mac
> ordering of OK and Cancel buttons) than bundle directories but you
> should feel free to try this yourself.
>
> > PS. Xcode project is almost done, I'll turn it loose later in the week.

Xcode project for qgis that automates bundling etc? Ooooer nice!

Tim Sutton

Home Page: http://linfiniti.com
Skype: timlinux
MSN: tim_bdworld at msn.com