[Qgis-developer] Some questions

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 12:09:48 EDT 2006

On 7/2/06, Akio Takubo <takubo at saruga-tondara.net> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>  I have some questions about some features of QGIS.
> I would like to know how I can customize QGIS or
> embed QGIS features into custome application.
> Please teach me current status, future plan or other useful
> information about following question.

Hi Akio,

sorry for delayed reply as I'm out of office currently.

> 1. multiple map canvas
>  Some month ago, it was discussed about multiple map canvas
> implementation. Have you decided how multiple map canvas
> work (combination of layers, projections, etc...) ?
> And these features including release 0.9? Or more future plan?

IIRC we have not decided completely how will multiple map canvas work.

There's somewhere a feature plan for 1.0 release but I don't remember
the URL, you can try to check qgis-dev archives.

> 2. embedding map canvas
>  So splitting Qgis features into some libraries, we can embed
> Qgis feature into our own applicaition in 0.8? Is threr any example
> for embedding map canvas into custome appllication?
> And can I embed multiple map canvas into one application
> (so can I create MDI application ) ?

I have done some work on this already, but I would call it rather
alpha state - if you're adventurous enough try to checkout
lib-refactoring-branch from SVN and use qgis core and qgis gui
libraries. Some information is also on wiki but not finished. I'll get
to this back in september when I get back from holidays.

Martin