[Qgis-developer] Adding delimited text file as layer...

Schalk Snyman snymans at wbs.co.za
Mon Oct 2 03:10:26 EDT 2006

Hello,

I have written a program to approximate the location of GSM cellphone
users. At this moment all I really need QGIS for is to display the
approximated points as well as the GPS points on a map (added as
shapefile layer) - which pop-up after the calculations.

I would like to use a comma-delimited text file X,Y to add the points as
a layer. (It's OK if the points are in separate text files)
I thought this would be relatively easy as this is already done rather
easily in the QGIS 0.8 gui. However I struggle to keep my head together
with all the gui slots and Qtishness (I'm new to Qt as well).

I'm using Tim Sutton's "Tutorial 2: Using MapTools with the QGIS Canvas
API" as a base point. How can I extend this code (with simple includes
and of course on the same map canvas) to add a points layer from a
delimited text file?

Best Regards to fellow Developers!

Schalk