[Qgis-developer] CMake for building QGIS?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Sep 7 21:43:59 EDT 2006

Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> Personally I dont see why we cant have multiple make systems in svn
> assuming they dont conflict with each other....

Yes, it should work.

> If people feel strongly about having CMake (or in my case Id prefer
> qmake) whats the harm?

I don't see any harm.

> We should have a standard make system that we use
> for official build instructions etc and in my mind thats where the real
> debate lies. Even then we could provide multiple instructions. If one
> make system begins to stand out from the others perhaps it will become
> default just from user uptake.....

Right.
Regarding QGIS, IMHO the most important advantage of cmake is
native workspaces support.
On Unix cmake generates Makefile files or KDevelop project.
On Windows cmake generates Visual C++ solution and project files.
So, I see the latter is cmake's advantage over autotools/automake.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net