[Qgis-developer] QGIS and 3D vectorial data

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 11:52:52 EST 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 5:33 PM, Michaël Douchin <michael.douchin at laposte.net> wrote:
> Martin said:
> > Then, QGIS kernel will be more or less prepared for 3D data handling
> > (once also providers get updated to load Z coordinate).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Martin
> >
> Hi list, hi Martin
> Does it mean that it is planned to view 3D layers within Qgis, or do you
> plan to use nviz through grass plugin to implement 3D access ?

Hi,
actually we didn't get so far with planning 3D support :-)
I personally think that once we start to support some 3D
visualization, we will do it natively, i.e. without GRASS. The reason
is that we still would like to deliver full functionality also without
GRASS, moreover currently we have no active developer for QGIS-GRASS
integration. And finally AFAIK nviz is not supported on windows, which
is also important platform for us.

Martin