[Qgis-developer] Re: QGIS Package for Linux

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Thu Feb 15 19:47:49 EST 2007

Hi

I have been working on this exact thing. See my detailed notes here:

http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/BuildingDistroIndependentLinuxBundle

I just need to package grass into it....

You can download an example here:

http://qgis.org/uploadfiles/testbuilds/qgis_linux_bundle.tar.bz2

The above is just a test build. In addition I have an installer like
the one here (which actually contains a more up to date copy of qgis
than the above bundle, although the user is only shown the
openModeller link):

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/openmodeller/openModellerDesktop-1.0.4-linux-installer.bin?use_mirror=ufpr

I'd like to have one day something like http://extensions.joomla.org
where people can upload, search for and download QGIS extensions. If
you or anyone else are interested in contributing some time and effort
into this it would be most welcome. Considering the effort that has
gone into making QGIS extensible via plugins, making the plugin
builderscript, writing tutorials and giving demos, QGIS has had
precious little contribution back in the way of plugins.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions and interest - we look forward to
your contributions!

Regards

Tim

2007/2/15, mukesh kumar <muks_kin at yahoo.com>:
> This may sound trivial (and may be it is) but I was wondering why a QGIS package with all the associated software sources (like gdal, proj, grass etc.) put together with relevant scripts files are not made available as a single entity which will make it a lot easier for the linux qgis users.
>     I have built few plugins for qgis .....but it seems that the users are more inclined to use and install it only if I could give them just one .zip file etc.(with all qgis,pluging, associated libs) and then they have to run lets say one makefile (or a couple) to get the software running. Users don't want to browse the internet and graplle with dependencies and paths etc. Why this is not often done....or am i missing the point big time. And if it is/can be done, what the easiest way to do it.
>
> Regards
> Muks

> http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

Tim Sutton