[Qgis-developer] Running QGIS from source dir

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 06:41:28 EST 2007

Hi,

probably you're used to do always 'make' and 'make install' when
developing QGIS. Autotools use rpath for linker so the installed
executable knows where to search for the libs. CMake doesn't do that
normally. Well, it does, but only for build to source directory - when
doing make install it relinks the binaries and doesn't use rpath
anymore, thus you need to specify LD_LIBRARY_PATH. For more
information why, see:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake/2005-November/007490.html

This leads me to the question: why not to run it directly from the
sources? After some modifications I think we could achieve this by
some modifications. Then we could leave out 'make install', resulting
in faster rebuilds.

Martin