[Qgis-developer] Using Request for changes (RFC) in QGIS project

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at karto.baug.ethz.ch
Tue Jun 5 11:26:04 EDT 2007

Dear QGIS community members,

In the last PSC meeting we agreed that QGIS needs a more formalized
development model. One idea was to use Requests for changes (RFC), similar to
the what UMN mapserver does (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc).

If you are also in favour of RFCs, we need to agree on how the procedure
should be for the QGIS project. To start the discussion, I wrote down some
initial ideas (see below). Please comment them and bring your own ideas.
After the discussion, I'm going to make a document that describes the RFC
procedure for QGIS on the Wiki.

-A QGIS Request for comment (RFC) describes a major change in technology,
major additions to functionality, or changes in the direction of the project.
It is published on the developer and user mailing lists and community members
vote about it.

-It is necessary in the following cases:
Change that breaks API compatibility, merge of a branch, change in development
model

-Procedure:
Author publishes RFC on qgis-developer and qgis-user lists
Community votes in the next 5 working days with -1, 0, +1
Finished RFCs are stored and are available on the website, together with the
voting result

Regards,
Marco

--