[Qgis-developer] Re: Mac OS X build 0.8.1 avail + notes

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Jun 25 15:32:36 EDT 2007

On Jun 25, 2007, at 12:49 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:

> Hi William
>
> Thanks for this!  I have added your hints to the install notes in
> INSTALL.t2t and will commit shortly.

One more note, on the binary - there appears to be some problem with
opening shapefiles.  Same as was discussed at the end of May, I'm
just catching up.  But I've narrowed down a more specific case: when
the GRASS app that Qgis was build with is missing (or renamed), when
you try to add a shapefile Qgis crashes in QgsOgrProvider::loadFields().

It may apply to other builds (like Tom's all-in-one, when he finishes
it).

So, it kinda makes GRASS required for now...

I was talking with Gary off-list about it (he relayed the problem to
me).  Here is what I sent him most recently (get this into list
discussion):

> I renamed GRASS 6.3, so Qgis doesn't see it.  Add a shapefile and
> bye bye Qgis.  Same thread trace - crashing in ogrprovider.
>
> I rebuilt Qgis with GRASS 6.2.  But when I rename GRASS 6.2 so Qgis
> doesn't see it, same crash when loading a shapefile.  So the GRASS
> version isn't a problem.
> I did a couple more tests:
>
> - renamed GRASS app so Qgis doesn't see it AND disabled the GRASS
> format in the GDAL framework.  Still crashes.
>
> - with GRASS normal, used the Qgis plugin manager to disable the
> GRASS plugin.  Quit.  Then rename GRASS so Qgis doesn't see it.  So
> Qgis should not attempt to load the GRASS plugin since it was
> previously disabled.
>
> STILL crashes, and the loaded libraries (binary images) list in the
> crash log shows the grass plugin and library as being loaded.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin