[Qgis-developer] QGIS crash on Mac OS X -- 0.8 release branch

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun May 13 00:56:18 EDT 2007

Gary - yeah, I've been lurking on this thread...

On May 12, 2007, at 7:45 PM, Tom Elwertowski wrote:

> Gary Sherman wrote:
>> On May 11, 2007, at 8:43 PM, Tom Elwertowski wrote:
>>> I checked a handful of cmake generated files and the paths are
>>> what I expect. Plenty of -I/Library/Frameworks/xxx.framework/
>>> Headers and no -I/usr/local/include so I am baffled as to why I
>>> end up with an inconsistent build.
>>>
>>> This makes me wonder if you have some non-framework headers which
>>> are being picked up and producing an inconsistent build.
>> Your explanation makes sense, but I'm at a loss as to how to
>> troubleshoot it.
>
> More information but no solution.
>
> I built QGIS 0.8 and 0.9 on a clean system to be sure there are no
> extra files beyond the needed dependencies. The problem exists only
> in 0.8.
>
> I discovered that when I run QGIS inside GRASS, I can load a shp
> file without crashing. I then removed libgrassplugin.so and
> libgrassprovider.so from qgis0.8.1.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/qgis/ and
> found that I can open a shp file when running QGIS directly without
> GRASS.
>
> The problem therefore seems to be related to how frameworks are
> linked with the GRASS addons in 0.8. When the frameworks get linked
> to 0.8, they seem to be requiring the presence of GRASS.

Ah, the GDAL framework has it's own minimal set of GRASS libraries to
support GRASS formats without having it installed.  These are the
stable 6.2 GRASS libraries.

When running GRASS, then running Qgis from GRASS, GRASS has set up
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to its libraries.

What are the Qgis grass plugin/provider linked to?  Try otool -L on
them.  They may be picking up the GDAL GRASS libraries instead of the
GRASS.app libraries.

That's what I can think of for now without trying it myself.  I've
been hesitating to plunge into the cmake switch with Qgis, so I don't
know if I'll be able to look at it myself any time soon.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect